Thursday 30 December 2010

Best Science Fiction films of the decade

10: SOLARIS (2002)


This is based on a novel by the Polish writer Stanislaw Lem, and borrows heavily from the 1972 Russian version. It's the strange story about a group of isolated astronauts seeing strange visions, with the real world and dream world blending into each other as the film progresses. George Clooneys career is amazing. From Killer tomatoes to being that hot guy on ER and a shit Batman, he's become widely regarded as one of the best actors working in Hollywood. The cunts a good director too.

9: THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY  (2005)


DON'T PANIC. Yes it's the film version of one of the funniest science fiction book series ever made. This film was always going to be good. If it wasn't then geeks (like myself) around the world would have been hunting the people responsible and reciting some Vogon poetry to them. The only thing that bugs me about it is that they set up The restaurant at the end of the universe and haven't bloody made it yet. Get your finger out assholes.

8:  SUNSHINE (2007)


I think my favourite thing about Danny Boyle is that you have no idea what he's going to make next. He went from the amazing 28 days later to Millions to Sunshine to Slumdog Millionaire. The guy doesn't hang about in one genre, but while he's there he makes an awesome film for that genre. Better than some directors that have been hanging around in that scene for years. This is better than any of the Science Fiction Steven Spielberg has done and he bloody loves the space and aliens. As with some Danny Boyle films the ending goes a bit  awry but it doesn't harm the film in any way.

7: STAR TREK (2009)


Sitting in the cinema waiting for this to come on I felt wrong. The whole thing was wrong. A kid did the whole live long and prosper thing when I was going to get my ticket but other than that it was just like going to see any other film, not a Star Trek one. This film made Star Trek cool, people who wouldn't go near Nemesis or First Contact were sitting next to me. It was almost like a mass of people patting you on the back for years of service in geekland. It was an awesome film too, a high packed action space adventure. Which is pretty much what Star Treks always been about. Still kind of weird though.

6: MOON (2009)


Zowie Bowie makes a film. A bloody awesome film too. It has the same feeling as an old bleak 60s or 70s Science Fictions film, like Silent Running or 2001. It deals a lot with the loneliness of it all. Sam Rockwell is so good in this film, he should have won an award or two. He plays Sam Bell who's coming to the end of his three year service on the moon when things start to go wrong. I could tell you what they are but that would ruin your enjoyment of the whole thing, and you will enjoy it. It's bloody brilliant.

5: THE FOUNTAIN (2006)


This was originally going to be a big budget film with Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt, Pitt left the production and suddenly the budget was halved, and in steps Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz to save the day. A lot of people hate Hugh Jackman, after watching this I couldn't be one of those. I love this film so much, it's one of those films that I kept thinking about for days after seeing it. A lot of people didn't understand it. I just connected with it. Aronofsky making another good film, like no one saw that coming.

4: INCEPTION (2010)


Yeah Inception only made number four. I bloody loved this film, Christopher Nolan does it again. Almost every film he's made in the last decade has appeared in these lists at some point with the exception of Batman Begins, he's one of the best directors currently working in Hollywoodland. Excuse me if I'm repeating myself here but this film blew me away. Again a lot of people didn't understand it. I have no idea why, it's a science fiction film. Deal with it.

3: SERENITY (2005)


Being a huge geek I fucking loved Firefly, I tried to stay away from it because it got cancelled before I'd even caught an episode and from what people were saying it was going to be upsetting. Being the geek I am I couldn't stay away for long and bought it on dvd, and yes I was very very very very sad when I got to the end and realised that was it. Till the film. What a fucking movie. It was the perfect way to end the whole thing, I would love to see another one but it didn't make enough money in the States, the bastards. It also does what Return of the Jedi should have and kills a character towards the final act which puts you on edge as you realise that any character could be dead by the end of the film. I'm getting goosebumps just talking about it. I think I know what I'll be watching tonight.

2: CHILDREN OF MEN (2006)


Clive Owen is another actor a lot of people hate. I bloody love the guy. Like all of the films on this list it blew me away. The fact intelligent science fiction is still being made is a fucking miracle when all you usually get is crap like Skyline. That made me want to throw up out my nose. Humanity is dying out, people aren't having babies anymore, the last person was born 18 years ago, and he's just died. Clive Owen is wrapped into protecting what could be mankind's salvation. I love a good dystopian vision of the future, and like most good science fiction it uses the environment to make commentary about the stupidity of the world we're living in.If you haven't seen it. You bloody well should. Oh and it's another film with Michael Caine in it too. He gets about a bit for an old fella.

1: DISTRICT 9 (2009)


I'm not going to lie to you. I was shouting at the screen towards the end of this film. A lot. Like I was almost jumping on my seat in the cinema. It's one of those films that I watched whilst trying not to scream holy shit when the next awesome thing happened. This film snuck up on me. Someone told me about some new science fiction film that was meant to be quite good , so I looked into it online. It looked a little better than the usual Independence Day kind of crap, and it was already out in America so I didn't have long to wait. FUCKING HELL IT WAS AMAZING. Like Children of Men it was a proper science fiction film that made a commentary about the way we currently live our lives, but it was wrapped up in an amazing extravaganza that was just a joy to watch. Not just the best of the decade, but one of the best of all time. Yeah I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment