Thursday 23 December 2010

Best Comedy films of the decade

10: DEATH TO SMOOCHY (2002)

Director
Danny DeVito
Starring
Robin Williams
Edward Norton
Catherine Keener
Danny DeVito

This film bombed at the box office and not many people have heard of it. Which is odd because it's bloody brilliant. Robin Williams is a kids TV host who gets fired when they find out he's taking bribes to let kids onto his show. He gets replaced by Smoochy (Ed Norton in a giant purple dinosaur costume) and spends the rest of the film attempting to sabotage the new show, hoping he'll get his back on the air.

By now you're probably sold and already looking for the film on amazon, and so you bloody should. The shocking thing about this film is how poorly it was received. Robin Williams won a Razzie award for it. Bizarre.

9: STRANGER THAN FICTION (2006)

Director
Starring

I think I have a problem. The next three films all star Will Ferrell, the guy just makes me laugh. I even enjoyed Land of the Lost, and here he is with a very hot Maggie Gyllenhaal, playing a guy who starts to hear a voice in his head. Unfortunately for him the voice is Emma Thompson and she's a writer who is currently writing a story which features him and his impending demise, even though she's completely unaware of his existence. Are you still with me ? It's kind of a hard film to describe without sounding like a mental. It's pure genius though.

8: ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGANDY (2004)

Director
Adam McKay
Starring
Will Ferrell
Christina Applegate
Paul Rudd
Steve Carell

If this film was just the newscasters fight scene, it still would have made it into the top ten. Every time I watch it I deafen my wife. So whether you love lamp or just wanna wear sex panther this film is for you. It's also the film which made me realise the comedy genius of Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell. The best thing Christina Applegate's ever been part of, with the possible exception of the Married with Children episode featuring Anthrax.


7: STEP BROTHERS (2008)



Director
Adam McKay
Starring
Will Ferrell
John C. Reilly
Mary Steenburgen
Richard Jenkins

The kid that sings Sweet Child of Mine is a creepy wee bastard. Other than that the films filled with awesome moments. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly play two forty year old men who act like kids and are thrust together when they're parents marry. I've made all kinds of noises watching this film. I'm off to do some activities and sing boats n hoes. The fucking Catalina wine mixer.

6: TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE (2004)

Director
Starring
I realise I'm kind of rushing through these, but I've just realised how much work I've given myself to finish these damned lists off and at this rate I'm still gonna be doing it in June. Time to call in Team America FUCK YEAH!

I went to see this for my friends birthday, I wasn't expecting much. South Park is funny and all, but the film didn't blow me away, or have me curled up in agonising pain from laughing so hard. This however did. I know I'm not alone in the fact that you never look at Kim Jong Il the same way again. Poor Matt Damon. See you said it in your head in the same voice he's given in this film. It happens everytime I see a poster with him on it, see his name in print or a film with him in it. Poor retarded bastard.

5: FOUR LIONS (2010)

Director 
Starring

Only Chris Morris could make a comedy about terrorists and make it actually funny. The guys been making me laugh for years. This is the first time he's done a film and it's one of the most intelligent comedies I've seen. He manages not to fall into the terrorist stereotypes you see all the time from Hollywood at any point during the film and actually makes you care about the characters. It's a great achievement and as funny as anything Morris has worked on previously. Even the peadophile episode of The Day Today. It's really that funny.

4: ZOMBIELAND (2009)

Director
Ruben Fleischer
Starring

Last October you may have heard people talking about rules. Like rule number 2 "Double Tap", or rule 18 "Limber Up". If you have no idea what I'm talking about then where the hell have you been hiding. You only missed one of the funniest films of the decade you fucking moron. Yeah I said it. It's a comedy with zombies in it, What's not to like ?

And for those people who who didn't go to see it because you liked Shaun of the Dead, I would just like to remind you to do the world a favour and jump of a bridge you small minded ignoramus. It's people like you that make me want to buy a gun.

3: BUBBA HO-TEP (2002)



Director
Don Coscarelli
Starring
Bruce Campbell
Ossie Davis
Reggie Bannister

Yeah that's right Reggie fucking Bannister's in this film, and it was directed by Don Coscarelli, Phantasms Don Coscarelli. You can't get better than that. Add in Elvis and a black JFK living in an old folks home fighting a mummy and you have a fucking movie my friend. Oh and if you don't like Bruce Campbell, you're a fucking dick.

2: BLACK DYNAMITE (2009)

Director
Scott Sanders
Starring
Michael Jai White
Arsenio Hall
Kevin Chapman

I still have no idea how I found this film. I came across it, thought it looked ok,  and when a couple of friends came over I put it on thinking it would be background noise. Within minutes the talking had stopped and the laughing had begun. It didn't stop. DYNAMITE DYNAMITE. I didn't think a blaxploitation comedy could be better than I'm Gonna Get You Sucka but this totally blows it away. Fuck pimp of the year, this film is awesome and should have been huge. But it's a low budget movie and not many people have seen it. So go out and buy it.  Maybe we'll get a sequel and once again we can shout DYNAMITE DYNAMITE!

Who's interrupting my kung fu ?

1: SHAUN OF THE DEAD (2004)

Director
Edgar Wright
Starring
Simon Pegg
Kate Ashfield
Nick Frost
Lucy Davis

What else could be number one? Though I have to admit the first time I saw this I had nightmares. Fucking zombies. You've all seen it, so you all know it deserves to be here. I can't wait for Paul, and I'll queue up for anything Edgar Wright directs, he hasn't made a bad film yet. Hopefully Nick Frost, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright will get together again to do another film in the future. Until then we always have this and Hot Fuzz. Made of awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment