Thursday 25 November 2010

Let Me In

So first up is the controversial Let Me In.

Before I begin I have to let you all know that I was a huge fan of the original, but I'm also a huge fan of Hammer Horror so before I walked into the cinema I was already torn, nervous, and slightly sweaty. The place was pretty empty, which never bodes well, and a large number of the audience looked like the kind of arseholes that go to see the twilight films 3 or 4 times. Bugger.

As the film began I forgot all my worries as you are instantly thrust into the story. But it's all very familiar, like virtually shot for shot of the dvd I have at home. Is this a bad thing? Did this film need remade so soon ? mmmmmmmm.

It's hard to watch this film without comparing it to the original, I purposefully didn't watch it again before I came out and I couldn't get rid of the bloody thing niggling at the back of my mind. No matter how good the performances are (which they are) or how well the story flows, it is the original in English.

It is, however, awesome. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this film after I firmly placed the original in the back of my mind. I mean it's a bloody Hammer Horror film, the first to have a cinema release since To The Devil A Daughter. Hell I nearly came in my pants when the Hammer Logo appeared. Much to my wifes dismay.

The only real issue this film has is that I don't think it has an audience outwith the people who have seen the original. Most of whom will go nowhere near this as they've already seen it in a version that they hold close to their heart. I mean let's remember Let The Right One In is the best and most original vampire film made in years. Not since Near Dark has a vampire film taken us on such a different journey and not latched onto hollywood stereotypes and lackluster performances.

An example of the difficulties I think this film will have finding an audience was in the scene where Abby (Chloe Moretz) kisses Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) leaving blood on his mouth. The audience actually made an "ew" sound. Like one of the most beautiful moments of the film and they felt no empathy for the characters at all. Have they not been watching the rest of the damned movie. These people are morons. The film was remade into English for morons who can't bloody read. Because let's face it, most of the people who would enjoy it have already seen the original.

We should just keep shovelling shit horror films like All The Boys Love Mandy Lane to these morons and keep the real good horror films to ourselves. I mean when did horror films have to have a ton of obnoxious teenage arseholes that you want to die. Atleast the older slasher films had characters that you wanted to live, not get annoyed at the end of the film cause some wee cunt didn't get an axe in the head... Ahem, I digress, but you get my point.

Anyway I very much enjoyed Let Me In and I just hope it finds enough of an audience to make it's money back as the people involved were far too good in it to have the film labeled as a flop. But then again it was always fighting an uphill battle to find an audience that hadn't seen the original that would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment