Friday 5 August 2011

Super 8

Director:
J.J. Abrams
Starring:
Elle Fanning
Kyle Chandler
Joel Courtney
Remember back in the day when you'd go to see films like Gremlins or the Goonies, great films that had some kids go on some crazy adventure. Wait... you don't... Eh, okay. Aracnophobia... Jurassic Park... You know the kind of films I mean though right ????

This is one of those films. I wasn't expecting much from the trailer, but fuck me this is one of the best films released this summer. I don't know if it's just the nostalgia of it all, reminding me of going to Livingston cinema every weekend while my mum went shopping but this film is everything that got me into films when I was a kid. It's got a big ass monster, the military coming into a small town, and kids going on a crazy adventure.
The acting is outstanding, it's filled with great character actors. The kids performances are outstanding and they're actually kids. Not some fucking 25 year old masquerading as a teenager.

And the most important thing about this film, it's not in 3D, it's not a shitty adaptation of a book or comic or cartoon or rollercoaster ride, it's not a sequel, it's an actual original film. Okay it's a homage to a lot of the crap I loved in the 80's but this is a film that was written to be a film. How often does that happen these days. This summer how often have you been to the cinema to see an original action film that doesn't already have a fanbase. I can't actually remember the last time I saw one. Let alone the last time I enjoyed a film as much as this. I'd love to hate J.J. Abrams, but the guy can make a fucking good film.

No comments:

Post a Comment